Our busy and unhealthy lifestyles expose us to many toxins every day. Pollution, alcohol, cigarettes, unbalanced diets, and a lack of physical activity can all accumulate harmful toxins in our bodies. As a result, you may experience headaches, fatigue, insomnia, and digestive issues.
All these symptoms may indicate your body needs to detox.
Many people associate detox with fasting or a juice cleanse diet. However, many don’t know that detoxification isn’t just a fad diet. A detox involves the body’s systems that remove waste products and various detox methods and techniques. Check out this blog for more information about detoxing.
What Is Detoxing?
Detox is a process of removing toxic substances from the body. Your liver, kidneys, and colon all work together to rid your body of waste products and toxins every day. But if those organs aren’t working properly or if there’s too much buildup in your system, then they won’t be able to keep up with all the toxins that need to be removed from your body daily.
The main objective of detox cleanses is to restore balance in the human body and relieve it from harmful substances so that they do not affect our health negatively. It can help with weight loss and improve digestion, but it’s also used for medicinal purposes to treat drug addiction and alcoholism, among other things.
Moreover, detoxification helps to eliminate waste products formed during metabolism processes and some drugs taken into the body.
What Are Some Examples of Toxins?
Toxins can enter the body through the mouth, the lungs (inhaled), skin cuts, and eyes. Many toxins are chemicals found in nature, and others are artificial. It’s everywhere, including the water we drink, the air we breathe, and the food we eat.
If you’re exposed to toxins frequently, your body may not have time to repair any damage done by these harmful substances.
There are many different types of toxins that you could have exposure to. Some examples include:
- Toxic chemicals
- Bacteria and viruses
- Mold spores and mildew
- Pesticides and herbicides
- Some antibiotics and other medications
- Tobacco smoke and secondhand smoke
- Heavy metals, such as mercury and lead
- Naturally occurring toxins include snake venom, bee stings, and poison ivy oil
- Air pollutants like ozone, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, and carbon monoxide
- Chemicals used to package and preserve food and cosmetics [e.g., Bisphenol A (BPA)]
- Metabolic toxins are produced by the body when it breaks down certain foods or chemicals. These include ammonia, lactic acid, and uric acid.
Different Types of Body Detoxification
Detoxification can be done by eliminating toxins that build up over time, like
- cigarette smoke or alcohol consumption
- because of an illness such as food poisoning
- or because of environmental factors such as air pollution
When you think of detox, you probably think of fasting. But there are other ways to detoxify your body, too. Here are some popular methods:
- Liquid detox like juice cleanses, water fasts, lemon-cayenne water, herbal teas
- Food cleanse detox such as raw food diets, eating only certain foods, or consuming organic-only foods
- Use of supplements
- External detoxification involves things like Epsom salt baths, steam baths, and saunas
- Colon cleansing or colonic irrigation
- Enemas and laxatives
The Best Benefits of Detox: What Does a Detox Do?
When you detox, your body can rest and repair itself. Without detoxification, toxins begin to accumulate in your body. These toxins negatively impact several bodily processes and cause ill health, including headaches, unwanted fats, and serious diseases. The benefits of detoxing are many and varied, but the most crucial ones include the following:
- Reduces bloating, weight gain, and fatigue
- Improves gut health and nutrient absorption: Detox helps us by stimulating the glands responsible for absorption so that they can do their job better than before
- It helps the skin look younger by reducing inflammation.
- Improves sleep patterns thanks to reduced stress levels
- Boosts immunity by fighting off infections caused by bacteria or viruses
- Increased energy levels which lead to less fatigue during activities like exercise or work
- Better mental clarity due to improved brain function
- Feeling healthier overall because all organs are functioning better now that they’re free from these harmful substances.
Though detox cleanses can help clear your body, it’s important not to overdo it. While many try to speed up the process by going on fasts or other extreme cleanses, doctors do not always recommend it, as it can cause more harm than good.
The Best Ways to Prepare for a Detox Cleanse
Preparing yourself before beginning the process is essential if you’re trying to detoxify your body. Detoxifying your body can be a challenge. Many people who have attempted to cleanse their bodies experience discomfort, fatigue, and headaches during the process.
The following steps will help you prepare for a detox cleanse:
1. Start by eating healthy foods
The real value of a detox comes from changing your eating habits so you can eat healthily even when you’re not undergoing a formal detox. Detox diets that cut out entire food groups may harm your health. Be sure not to skip meals, and eat plenty of whole grains, lean protein sources like fish, and fiber-rich foods like fruits, and vegetables.
Fiber helps move waste out of the colon so you can easily eliminate toxins from the body. It also allows for better digestion by absorbing water in the digestive tract, so the food moves through faster.
2. Drink lots of water
Your body needs more fluids than usual during detoxification because it’s working hard to rid itself of toxins. Aim for about eight glasses a day; if you don’t have time to get them all in one sitting at home, carry a bottle with you wherever you go!
3. Get plenty of sleep
Make sure you rest for at least 8 hours every night to allow your body to recover from any changes resulting from cleansing.
4. Avoid alcohol, caffeine, and tobacco products
While putting yourself through a detox cleanse, avoid coffee, tobacco, and alcohol so that they won’t interfere with their effects on the body.
Try meditating or doing yoga daily for at least 15 minutes. These activities have been shown time and again how beneficial they can be for overall health & well-being too!
PHWC’s – Support Your Body’s Detox Cleansing!
You can detox at home by making healthy changes to your diet and lifestyle and using natural products that support the liver and kidneys. If you’re looking for more specific guidance, consider taking a supplement that provides antioxidants, amino acids, or other nutrients that may help your body cleanse itself of toxins.
One of the best ways to detox your body is by taking Premier Detox!
Premier Detox is a comprehensive, vegan-friendly, monk-fruit-extract-sweetened, low-allergy–potential dietary supplement designed to
- support gastrointestinal (GI) function
- balanced detoxification
- boosts natural detoxification mechanisms
Among its features are:
- Premier Health & Wellness Center’s proprietary amino acid
- Vegan Protein Blend
- pea/rice protein blend
- Aminogen® to facilitate protein absorption
- mineral amino acid chelates
- activated B vitamins, including Quatrefolic® and methylcobalamin.
Consult with a Doctor
Detoxing can be a great way to eliminate harmful substances from your body and improve your overall health.
It’s important to remember that there are many different ways to detox, so it’s best if you find the best detox regimen that works best for you.
It is best to consult with our physician before beginning any detox program —especially if you have preexisting conditions like high blood pressure or diabetes — to ensure that it is safe and effective! For consultations, call 441-292-5111 or visit the PHWC main page to schedule your consultation.
If you are looking for supplements that can contribute to your well-being and promote good health, visit the Premier Health and Wellness Center or The Phoenix Centre Pharmacy, Hamilton, Bermuda.